The LEATHER & LGBTQ Cultural District has been gathering input from all corners of our community, to help us to create our District’s Cultural History, Housing and Economic Sustainability Strategies (CHHESS) report, which will guide our organization’s efforts — and help shape San Francisco city policy and priorities — for the next 3 to 5 years.
We are doing this through a variety of methodologies, including individual interviews, a major Town Hall event, and a series of Zoom-based “Focus Groups”, each one targeting either a specific area of concern or a specific demographic group. In this way we can get honest input from a diverse, varied and representative set of people, even if some individual focus groups are not, in themselves, socially or culturally diverse.
Here is a list of some of these events, past and upcoming:
- Arts and Culture Focus Group, 7/20/2020
- Economic Vitality Focus Group 11/30/2020
- Sex Workers’ Focus Group, 8/13/2020
- Town Hall, 8/25/2020
- BIPOC Focus Group, 9/17/2020
- Transgender Focus Group 10/6/2020
- Women’s Focus Group, 10/15/2020
- Disabled Persons’ Focus Group: Monday, November 9, from 6 to 8 pm: Register/attend here.
- Tenant / Land Use Focus Group: Tuesday, November 17, from 6 to 8 pm, Register/attend here.
- Leather Folks’ Focus Group: Thursday, November 19, from 6 to 8 pm: Register/attend here.
- Kinky Folks’ Focus Group: Tuesday, December 1, from 6 to 8 pm: Register/attend here.
If you have not participated in one of our Focus Groups yet, we want to hear from you.
Please select a group and register or attend using the links above. (If you register in advance, we’ll send you a confirmation email. If you click on the link just before or during the meeting, registration will take you directly into the meeting. Registration is needed to discourage “zoom-bombing” by intruders.)
Focus Groups are recorded for our internal use only: you are encouraged to keep your camera off and/or use a different display name if you wish greater anonymity.
If you can’t attend any of these dates, there is a Google Form you can use to provide similar input, here.
The CHHESS Report we write will go to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors for their approval; once approved, it will be used to guide and direct public policy for our neighborhood, in everything from art installations to zoning laws. The Focus Group process will also help the LEATHER & LGBTQ Cultural District to set its own priorities for programming, spending, and public advocacy.
Please let us hear your voice.