The City of San Francisco has let us know about a new position available, as a Senior Community Development Specialist, helping the Mayor’s Office of Housing and Community Development’s efforts related to the funding of projects and programs in the City’s Cultural Districts. It’s an important and demanding position; you can read more about it here.
What has the the LEATHER & LGBTQ Cultural District been doing since the Community Meeting last August? Who is on the Board of Directors? Who is the new District Manager? How is the District doing financially? What’s a CHHESS? How close are we to building a Leather Cultural Center? What are the new Committees? How can folks become full Voting Members? What else can folks do to help?
For answers to these and other questions, attend the LEATHER & LGBTQ Cultural District Open House, on Wednesday, February 12, 2020, from 6 to 8 pm, in Room 204 of the SF LGBT Center, 1800 Market Street, in San Francisco. The entire community is invited and encouraged to attend.
The World’s First Transgender District:
Honey Mahogany, Aria Sa’id, and Janetta Johnson.
Hosted by Compton’s Transgender Cultural District and Manny’s
Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 6:30 PM – 8 PM
at Manny’s, 3092 16th Street, San Francisco, California 94103
Three names: Janetta Johnson, Honey Mahogany and Aria Sa’id. These three activists are the ones responsible for formulating and creating the United States’ very first transgender cultural district. What does the district mean? Where is it? Why was this location chosen? What is going to happen in the district? Why was it important to create it and who are these ladies?
More info and tickets at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/88051599705
Tickets are $10.00.
No one is ever turning away for lack of funds at Manny’s. Ever. For “Low Income/Price Sensitive” ticket just email the word grapefruit to firstname.lastname@example.org no questions asked.
If you just learned about San Francisco’s LEATHER & LGBTQ Cultural District…. Welcome!
Please explore below for information about the Cultural District. If you have not already signed up for our mailing list, please visit http://eepurl.com/djdUyf to be kept informed about our meetings and activities.
The next meeting of our Board of Directors is scheduled for Wednesday, January 15, 2020, from 6 to 8 pm, in Room 204 at the SF LGBT Center, 1800 Market Street, in San Francisco. Community members are welcome to attend. Please note the meeting time. The preliminary agenda will be available on this Web site a few days before the meeting. The minutes of the meeting of August 24, 2019 can be viewed here. The minutes of the meetings of September 18 are viewable here. Minutes of the meeting of October 16, 2019 are viewable here. Minutes of the meeting of November 20, 2019 are viewable here. Minutes of the meeting of December 18, 2019 will be available soon.
The SF LGBT Center is fully ADA compliant. Please use public transportation to access the Center. Street parking is limited. The SF LGBT Center is accessible by MUNI J,K,L,M,N or F, as well as bus lines 6,7,61,71. Please be considerate of our neighbors and do not block driveways or park in blue, yellow or white zones.
The Livable City folks who organize Sunday Streets SoMa (set for August 23, 2020) are starting now to get folks involved, as well as make other plans affecting our neighborhood. It would be great if a bunch of our community folks showed up at their “SoMa Summit”, on Friday, January 24th, from noon to 2 pm, at the Livable City headquarters at 301 8th Street in San Francisco, to help shape their planning. See flyer for more info. Food and childcare with RSVP.
An agenda will be available in advance of the meeting, along with the minutes of recent meetings. Please contact the committee chair for more info!
An Open House for the LEATHER & LGBTQ Cultural District is set for Wednesday, February 12, 2020, from 6 to 8 pm, in Room 204 of the SF LGBT Center, 1800 Market Street, in San Francisco. The entire community is invited and encouraged to attend.
This Open House is an opportunity to learn what the Cultural District has been doing lately, to join the new Committees, and to learn how to become a full voting member.
We are now building a Web site where you can sign up as a voting member of the Cultural District. People on our mailing list will receive a special email with a link to that page as soon as it is ready. Thanks for your patience.
Hi. Thanks for your interest in the “LEATHER & LGBTQ Cultural District”, created by the City of San Francisco, to honor, support, and protect the unique and special culture that has flourished in the South of Market area.
We encourage anyone with an interest in the leather or kink community to learn about this project, and participate however they can.
There are lots of ways to get informed and involved:
- Read this brief introduction.
- View our original (2018) brochure, or our new (September 2019) color brochure.
- Click here to add your name to the LEATHER & LGBTQ Cultural District email list, to be notified of meetings and other events, join a committee, or volunteer your skills.
- Attend our next Open House, on February 12, 2020, from 6 to 8 pm, in Room 204 of the SF LGBT Center, 1800 Market Street, in San Francisco.
- Attend one of our semi-annual Membership Meetings.
- Attend (as a guest) one of our monthly Board Meetings.
- Consider joining our Land Use Committee. (Involvement options range from occasionally showing up at a meeting in City Hall, to researching city archives, to handling critical negotiations with planners and developers. Having special skills in real estate or civic planning would be great, but it’s not required. More info is here; contact land-use-chair@SFLCD.org to join the Committee.)
- Consider joining our Outreach and Events Committee. (Help spread the word about our District, and plan our participation in local street fairs and other events. View a typical meeting agenda here; contact outreach-chair@SFLCD.org to join this Committee.)
- Consider joining our Finance Committee. (Finance and accounting skills are not required — although of course they could be very helpful if you have them. Participation is limited to voting members of the District, but do contact finance-chair@SFLCD.org for information or to join.)
- Read the Resolution as approved by the Board of Supervisors, and signed by the Mayor on May 9, 2018, here.
- Read the Vision and Mission Statements for the Cultural District here.
- Read our full organizational Bylaws, here.
- View a map of the Cultural District here.
- Check out our calendar of Cultural District meetings and events, here.
- Like and follow the SF LEATHER & LGBTQ Cultural District on Facebook.
- Join our Group on Fetlife.
- Follow @sfleatherdist on Twitter.
- Write to our group’s elected President, Robert Goldfarb, using the email address president@SFLCD.org or more generally to info@SFLCD.org.
Let’s see what we can do to make this happen, and make it happen right!