Saturday, May 9, 2020
Time: 5:00 to 9:00 p.m.
Location: Folsom Street Foundry
On Saturday, May 9, 2020, the LEATHER & LGBTQ Cultural District will host a major event to celebrate the second anniversary of the creation of our Cultural District.
It was indeed on May 9, 2018 that the Resolution establishing the LEATHER & LGBTQ Cultural District was signed by then-Mayor Mark Farrell. Since then, our group has become incorporated as a California Non-Profit Corporation, received 501(c)3 status, obtained funds from the City and private developers, hired a Cultural District Manager, done outreach to local residents, organizations, and businesses, advocated for and against local development projects, scouted possible locations for a Leather Cultural / Community Center, participated in parades and street fairs, worked with city agencies to create Leather and LGBTQ placemaking along Folsom and Harrison Streets, coordinated with the city’s other Cultural Districts, and begun work on developing our CHHESS — an essential strategy document that will guide the city in protecting and supporting our neighborhood for years to come. (For updates on these and other accomplishments, please plan to attend our Open House on February 12, 2020 from 6 to 8 pm, at the SF LGBT Community Center, 1800 Market Street, San Francisco.)
Grant money has been provided to us for the specific purpose of hosting an event to introduce the Cultural District to the neighborhood and community, and we intend to make that event a very special one. We have set the date, and are working now to secure the location and begin the necessary arrangements.
Our current plans (subject to change) are to make this both a party and a showcase for the artists, artisans, performers and businesses of the District. Of course, we will need your help!
Are you, or do you know someone who:
- owns or manages a business of any kind in the Cultural District,
- creates art, gear, or craft of any kind in and around this neighborhood,
- operates or manages a restaurant or food service here,
- performs regularly or occasionally in the District,
- creates and/or sells artwork that relates to Leather and Queer culture,
- has historical artifacts of the early days of SoMa to display or sell,
- would like to assist us in planning, organizing or publicizing,
- or otherwise has something to contribute to this event?
If so, please write to info@SFLCD.org. Thanks!
And in any case, please save the date!