Once the current crisis is over, we plan to celebrate the world’s first ever official LEATHER & LGBTQ Cultural District!
So we are throwing a (belatedly) 2nd anniversary party, and you will be invited! The originally planned date was May 9, 2020. But we are postponing it, and will let you know just as soon as we have the revised date.
The event will be free, and we’ll be offering appetizers from local restaurants. There will be a cash bar, but soda will be free.
- A Makers Market for local artists and vendors
- Leather Fashion Show
- Live band / DJ / Dance
- Introduction to the LEATHER & LGBTQ Cultural District
ASL interpretation will be provided if requested 10 days in advance.
Local artists and vendors interesting in have a free table to display and sell their creations should contact info@SFLCD.org now!
Want to get involved in planning? Join our Arts and Culture Committee!
Please keep your eye on the Facebook event page for updated information.
It was indeed on May 9, 2018 that the Resolution establishing the LEATHER & LGBTQ Cultural District was signed by then-Mayor Mark Farrell. Since then, our group has become incorporated as a California Non-Profit Corporation, received 501(c)3 status, obtained funds from the City and private developers, hired a Cultural District Manager, done outreach to local residents, organizations, and businesses, advocated for and against local development projects, scouted possible locations for a Leather Cultural / Community Center, participated in parades and street fairs, worked with city agencies to create Leather and LGBTQ placemaking along Folsom and Harrison Streets, coordinated with the city’s other Cultural Districts, and begun work on developing our CHHESS — an essential strategy document that will guide the city in protecting and supporting our neighborhood for years to come.
Grant money has been provided to us for the specific purpose of hosting an event to introduce the Cultural District to the neighborhood and community, and we intend to make that event a very special one.
This will be both a party and a showcase for the artists, artisans, performers and businesses of the District.
Are you, or do you know someone who:
- owns or manages a business of any kind in the Cultural District,
- creates art, gear, or craft of any kind in and around this neighborhood,
- operates or manages a restaurant or food service here,
- performs regularly or occasionally in the District,
- creates and/or sells artwork that relates to Leather and Queer culture,
- has historical artifacts of the early days of SoMa to display or sell,
- would like to assist us in planning, organizing or publicizing,
- or otherwise has something to contribute to this event?
If so, please write to info@SFLCD.org. Thanks!